Monday, 30 January 2012

To smack or not to smack... that is the question

In today's news: Should smacking be banned and was it to blame for the London Riots?

In my eye's it seems completely barbaric to suggest the London Riots happened because children are no longer allowed to be smacked. I reckon if we questioned some of the criminals of last summer's riots, a vast  majority of them would have encountered a smack or more. I think this because if they were that dumb to torch shops, steal discount trainers and hurl bricks at police, they probably come from a family of poor morals and perhaps were pretty dysfunctional to begin with.

The London Riots absolutely disgusted me and they still do. I'm not the richest or the smartest but I was disgraced to witness the events. My childhood was a nice one, I was happy but if I misbehaved I was disciplined. My mum would give me a light smack on my bum or hand and my dad wouldn't even need to smack me. He would just give me a look or raise his voice and that would be enough for me to flee my house and hide in the alley behind my house.

I never ran and hid because I was worried I'd be abused, I ran because I knew I'd been naughty and didn't want to face the music. I'm very close to my mum and dad and see smacking as acceptable. I can't say if when I have children if I'll be using the same methods, especially if it is about to be widely banned but i see nothing wrong (it never had me in pain). There are many other way's to teach your children right from wrong.

No comments: