Thursday, 10 May 2012

The frown of brown


Recently I’ve wanted to get on a sunbed and I have done so in the past, but not for a roasting and not for vanity’s sake. Instead I would happily risk the UV damages as it helps clear scars that I’ve incurred through having severe eczema. I do fear of the dangers of getting skin cancer but it seems that there’s always something lurking around the corner. I couldn’t get over the news story that broke about the overly- tanned US woman named Patricia Krentcil. 


I think we’d all be in agreement that she looked grotesque or like she’d had some fun rolling in something we shan’t mention. It’s clear that we as a nation as obsessed with tanning and being mixed race I’m lucky to have a tan all year round but friends don’t get why I sometimes fake tan… well I tan for precisely the same reason that a white person would, for that extra glow and people when summer is fast fading, so is my glowing complexion. H&M are now being heavily criticised for their bikini ads and I’d admit that I’ve looked at the campaign photographs and thought to myself “damn that chick is dark,” but at the same time I found myself drooling because in my opinion she looks hot. I’m not that naïve so I’m awake of airbrushing and I’m aware that her mahogany tan is more than likely painted on… still I can’t help but lust after that colour (of which after a week, I actually get that dark.)
So whether the ads encourage the use of sunbeds and unachievable looks, I see no major issue with them.




 It’s not like H&M are putting turbo delux sunbeds next to their changing rooms, is it! People are free to tango themselves if they feel they look pale and those that embrace their natural colour… Big up! These days tanning salons have increased their prices, making it a lot less affordable for school kids to visit.


No comments: